Monday, March 10, 2014

Brussels Sprouts with Bacon

I am so looking forward to spring.  This has been the strangest winter the east coast has seen in awhile.  It has been bitterly cold.  So unusually cold that I've been carrying around extra snow pants and blankets for the kids in the car, just in case we'd get stuck and have to walk somewhere.  Blech, and the snow...I actually like snow, but it has to be more than 4 degrees outside if you want to play in it.  And frankly, I am tired of waking up at 4:30 in the morning to make a decision on if my employees could sleep in or brave the icy tundra and get to work.

Rant over.  Here is what I'm going to miss about winter...the food.  Yeah, I know that you can make a beef stew in the summer, but who really wants to?  While I am already dreaming of corn on the cob and zucchini, I am making my last effort on the winter food front.  Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Stuffed Acorn Squash (check back tomorrow for the Acorn Squash recipe).

The Brussels Sprouts were quite the hit on my facebook page last year.  When the Ravens were in the playoffs last year, I had my own little superstitious ritual going on.  These Brussels sprouts were my "game day food."  While other people were making wings and dips, I was getting my roast on.  Every time I made them during a game, the Ravens won...all the way through the Super Bowl.  A few playoff games in, I posted a picture on facebook.  I am amazed at the number of people that like Brussels sprouts.  More than once, I had to post the recipe.  Here it is, so it will always be available...enjoy!  Go Ravens!

 First, attract a great deal of attention by purchasing one of these at the grocery store.  (You could also get a bag of pre-trimmed sprouts, but where is the fun in that)  I was so excited to see these make an appearance at our local store about two years ago.  I thought what a great way to get the kids involved in the kitchen, they will most certainly eat Brussels sprouts now!  (Insert Family Feud XXX here).  They still think Brussels sprouts are disgusting and that I am weird.  But I keep trying...

 Trim and cut the Brussels sprouts to about equal sizes.  The ones that are the size of a quarter get halved; the half-dollar sized ones get quartered.  Does that make sense?  Toss on a cookie sheet with chopped onion and diced bacon.  Drizzle with olive oil, pepper and just a bit of salt.

 Roast at 425 for 20 to 25 minutes.  The sprouts will get wonderfully brown.  I usually let the bacon tell me when the sprouts are done.

Finish with a pat of butter, a squeeze of lemon juice and a squirt of honey.

Roasted Brussels Sprouts
1 lb Brussels sprouts, halved or quartered (uniform pieces)
2 medium onions, chopped
1/3 lb bacon, diced
2 Tbs olive oil
salt and pepper
1 Tbs butter
1/2 lemon
1-2 Tbs honey

Preheat oven to 425.  Toss Brussels sprouts, onion, bacon, olive oil, salt and pepper on cookie sheet.  Roast in oven for 20-25 minuets, stirring every 10 minutes.  Remove from oven, stir with butter, lemon juice and honey.

No comments:

Post a Comment