Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Where is that cat, and what did he do with my tongue?

So as we were eating dinner tonight, there were a lot of clever phrases running through my mind I could use in this post.  Then the littlest tilted the dining room chair over while trying to whisper something in my ear and she went with it.  Her fall was almost broken when she caught her chin on the table, biting her tongue in the process.  There is nothing worse than your child virtually slipping through your fingers and getting hurt.  Except maybe that terrifying couple of seconds of silent scream where she holds her breath...it actually took her four of five little hiccups before the blood-curdling scream, it felt like forever!  She is fine, I still need a good cry about it.

Bottom line, clever phrases...gone.

This is what was for dinner:  rosemary pork chops, roasted cauliflower, crunchy (raw) carrots, and fried apples.  I didn't take a lot of pictures this time, as I didn't think about posting until the apples, which were an afterthought.

The rosemary pork chops was a recipe on the side of the Shake and Bake box.  Kraft Brands--shake-n-bake recipes  We've always loved the shaking and the baking, but when you add some Dijon mustard and rosemary, yum!  Check out the size of these things--I got a big pack at the store for a ridiculous price and these three were buried under four more chops the size of my whole hand.  All seven cost me about eight bucks, what a deal.  We always cook the shake and bake on a rack sprayed with cooking spray on a foil lined baking sheet--it gets a little crispier that way.

The cauliflower was tossed with olive oil and kosher salt and roasted for about 20 minutes at 425 degrees. The littlest used to eat it (she used to get mad if you didn't let her have the whole bowl), but it's been awhile and she's in the "I won't eat any part of the food that is brown" phase.  When she told me she didn't want the brown parts, her sister reminded her that "brown food tastes good."

The fried apples were, as I said, an afterthought--while the pork was cooking, I remembered a meal my mom made for us after one of the babies was born.  She made pan fried pork chops and served them with some canned apple pie filling.  Not having apple pie filling on hand, I figured I could whip something up.  Here is what I did:

1 apple, peeled and sliced (I used a fuji apple)
1 Tbs butter
1 Tbs brown sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 squeeze of lemon juice (a turn or two of the pan from 1/2 a lemon)

Combine all ingredients in a small skillet.  Cook over medium heat until sugar is dissolved and apples have softened a bit, about 5 minutes.

After tasting, the littlest said "maybe I think I don't like them."  The biggest ate a few and said "maybe I can have some more apples for dessert."  We made another batch with enough for her to take some for lunch tomorrow.  By the way, when your husband uses a metal fork to cook the apples, and then you use said fork to scoop them into a lunch container, DON'T LICK THE FORK!  It's hot.  Charleigh wasn't the only one sucking on an ice cube tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment