Thursday, February 13, 2014

Snow Day!!

Today was a snow day!  The snow gods dumped about a foot of heavy snow overnight.  And for the first time, I didn't spend the day second-guessing my decision to close Grannie Annie's today.  Also, for the first time, I made the decision last night...I got to sleep in (relatively speaking) and just be a mom this snow day!  

After a super long cuddle in bed this morning, I asked the littlest what she wanted for breakfast--anything she wanted.  She asked for pancakes with sprinkles like I made for her sister's birthday.  Absolutely!  Hubby, on his way out to shovel (for the first time) said "it's snowing, I want snowflake pancakes."  Challenge. Accepted.


Looks fancy, it's super easy!  I use this technique just about every other time I make pancakes.  It's instant pancake mix, the kind you just add water.  Mix it, let it stand for a few minutes (it will "rise" a bit), then pour it into a squirt bottle.  I have one with a wide screw off top that I think came in a chocolate melting / candy making kit.  You can use an old ketchup bottle or syrup bottle, but it's not quite as easy to fill.  I imagine you could use a pastry bag with a large tip, or in a pinch a zip top bag with the corner snipped off, but I haven't tried either.

Choose a delivery method and squirt your design onto a preheated griddle sprayed with a little non-stick spray.  Sometimes I do the kids' names (yes, every letter in Danielle and Charleigh; we use the double burner griddle for those days)
The upper left one was the first, and neatest.  The rest were done in a hurry as the pan was getting hot pretty fast, but you get the idea.

So in the finished product, I added a drizzle of syrup and some snowflake sprinkles (that I got dirt-cheap on Christmas clearance a few weeks ago and the kids have been itching to use).  When we sat down to breakfast, I may or may not have triumphantly said to my husband "Ha. snowflake pancakes with sprinkles!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment